My oldest stayed home from school today due to being sick. As soon as there is even a slight sniffle or cough in my household, I start gathering the ingredients for this soup. I save all my chicken bones from roast chicken dinners and rotisserie chickens in the freezer and I have recently started saving vegetable scraps (carrot tops, celery stalks, onion peels, tough broccoli stalks, fresh herbs that have started to wilt, etc ) and keep them in the freezer as well. Food is expensive as it is so I feel like I am getting the most out of it if I save everything. (I’m officially turning into my mother. 😉 ) I love homemade stock over store-bought since it has a much fuller flavor but when in a pinch, I do use store-bought. I find chicken noodle soup in the instant pot to be speedy and it makes it much easier to prepare than the old fashioned stove top method. I freeze my stock or can it and pull it out for when someone starts feeling under the weather. I’ve included a recipe for both the bone broth and the chicken noodle soup.
Instant Pot Chicken Bone Broth
Adapted from: Budget Bytes
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 or more leftover cooked chicken carcass
- 2 cups of frozen vegetable scraps (this is a very loose estimation…you can add as much or as little as you like but the more you add, the more flavor!)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 10 cups of filtered water
- Turn the Instant Pot to Sauté mode. Add the olive oil and the chicken carcass pieces and sauté for a few minutes.
- Add the frozen veggie scraps, sauté for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the bay leaves, black peppercorns, salt, vinegar and 10 cups of water. Bring to a gentle boil.
- Turn off the Instant Pot. Put the lid on the Instant Pot and set on Manual mode for 60 minutes.
- Let the Instant Pot reduce the pressure on its own naturally for about 30 minutes following cooking time.
- Open the steam valve and remove the lid carefully.
- Strain the liquid at least three times using a fine mesh sieve before using for soup.
The stock can be used right away or refrigerated for a couple days or after completely cooled, it can be frozen for use at another time.
Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 1 cup of short grain pasta
- 8-10 cups of prepared chicken stock
- 2 cups of cooked chicken
- salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup of chopped fresh parsley
- Turn the Instant Pot to Sauté mode. Add olive oil.
- Add carrots, onion, celery and sauté for a few minutes until vegetables have softened. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper.
- Add 1 cup of short grain pasta. This is my favorite kind to use.
- Add prepared chicken stock.
- Close lid on Instant Pot and set on Soup setting for 4 minutes.
- After cooking time, release pressure manually watching for excess pressure coming through the valve.
- Add cooked chicken and parsley.
- Stir and enjoy!
And sometimes, if I have time, I make a loaf of homemade bread to go along with it but today was not that day. 🙂