I found this recipe in my Everyday Food magazine and I’ll never use another recipe again. It is completely easy and we love the gravy that is included. We usually have this alongside mashed potatoes, green beans and homemade rolls.
Slow-Cooker Pot Roast
Recipe Courtesy of Everyday Food Magazine
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 8 medium carrots, cut into thirds
- 2 medium onions, each cut into 8 wedges
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 beef chuck roast (3 pounds), trimmed of excess fat
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- In slow cooker, stir together cornstarch and 2 tablespoons cold water until smooth. Add carrots and onions; season with salt and pepper, and toss.
- Sprinkle roast with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper; place on top of vegetables, and drizzle with Worcestershire. Cover; cook on high, 6 hours (or on low, 10 hours).
- Transfer roast to a cutting board; thinly slice against the grain. Place vegetables in a serving dish; pour pan juices through a fine-mesh sieve, if desired. Serve roast with vegetables and pan juices.
Oven method: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In step 1, use a 5-quart Dutch oven or ovenproof pot with a tight-fitting lid; add 2 cups water. Cover; bake until roast is tender, 3 1/2 to 4 hours. Proceed with step 3.