I found this recipe in my latest edition of Everyday Food. It looked easy enough and I had a few of the ingredients already on hand…love when that happens! I was able to use fresh basil from my garden (love summertime!), the fresh mozzarella was on sale at Whole Foods and I swapped the focaccia bread to ciabatta since I had a coupon for a dollar off a loaf. (Check out Whole Foods online coupons here)
So all in all, a healthy, easy and affordable meal. I served this alongside roasted Yukon gold potatoes. I didn’t stress too much about having a green side since the pesto is made with basil and spinach and there were grilled tomatoes on top of the burgers. You may like a green salad to round out this meal.
Pesto Chicken Burgers
Recipe Adapted From: Everyday Food Magazine
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup baby spinach (1 ounce)
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for grilling
- coarse salt and pepper
- 1 pound ground white-meat chicken
- 2 large tomatoes, cut into 1/2 inch slices (I used heirloom tomatoes because I think they are so pretty)
- 3 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 4 pieces focaccia, halved (I used ciabatta)
1. In a food processor, puree basil, spinach, garlic, walnuts, oil and 1 tablespoon water. Season pesto with salt and pepper.
2. Heat grill or a grill pan to medium-high heat. Combine 1 tablespoon pesto, 3/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and chicken and form into 4 patties. Clean and lightly oil hot grill. Brush tomatoes with oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill patties, covered, 4 minutes. Flip patties and top with cheese. Add tomatoes to grill and cook, flipping once, until tomatoes are lightly charred and burgers are opaque and chicken is cooked throughout, about 4 minutes.
3. Assemble sandwiches in ciabatta bread with pesto, burgers, and tomatoes.
Note: I had to cut these burgers in half simply due to the size of them and my kids aren’t able to eat that much. This certainly can make at least 1 1/2 meals for a family of four.Tags: American, Chicken, Main Dish