This is a quick and easy weeknight supper. The chicken has only a few ingredients and the pitas are easy to assemble. I have only used ground chicken but ground lamb would be a yummier and more authentic substitution. I served the koftas along with baby carrots and baked steak fries. If you don’t want to make the cucumbers and yogurt sauce (i.e. too lazy), I have substituted a bit of sour cream with a squeeze of half of a lemon and some dried dill. If you are exceptionally lazy, you could buy some dill veggie dip from your grocers refrigerated case.:) All options work great! Let me know what you think!
Chicken Koftas with Cucumbers and Yogurt
Recipe Courtesy Of: Martha Stewart
- 1 1/4 pounds ground chicken
- 1/2 white onion, diced small
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/2 cucumber, diced large (1 1/3 cups)
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 4 pitas
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, for serving
1. In a large bowl, combine chicken, onion, parsley; season with salt and pepper. Using your hands, mix until well combined. Form mixture into eight oval patties.
2. In a medium bowl, combine cucumber and yogurt, season with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook chicken patties on all sides until cooked through, about 12 minutes. Divide patties and tomatoes among pitas. Top with cucumber yogurt sauce and mint. Fold to enclose and serve.Chicken, Main Dish, Middle Eastern