It took me a couple of days to prepare this meal since my 8 week old calls the shots around our house these days but I wanted to be sure to do something special for Fathers Day. I made tequila lime chicken, cilantro lime rice (think Chipotle), black bean and corn salsa with tortilla chips and key lime pie. It felt great to prepare a complete home-cooked meal and it was appreciated by all!
Tequila Lime Chicken
Recipe Courtesy of Ina Garten
- 1/2 cup gold tequila
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (5 to 6 limes)
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (2 oranges)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh jalapeno pepper (1 pepper seeded)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic (3 cloves)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 whole (6 split) boneless chicken breasts, skin-on
Combine the tequila, lime juice, orange juice, chili powder, jalapeno pepper, garlic, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Add the chicken breasts. Refrigerate overnight.
Heat a grill with coals and brush the rack with oil to prevent the chicken from sticking. Remove the chicken breasts from the marinade, sprinkle well with salt and pepper, and grill them skin-side down for about 5 minutes, until nicely browned. Turn the chicken and cook for another 10 minutes, until just cooked through. Remove from the grill to a plate. Cover tightly and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Serve hot or at room temperature.
Cilantro Lime Rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- zest of one lime
- 1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
In a medium saucepan, add olive oil over medium low heat. Add garlic and rice and saute for two minutes. Add chicken broth, salt, and lime juice and bring to a boil. Cover and cook on low for 20-30 minutes until rice is fluffy and liquid has evaporated.
When rice is cooked, add lime zest and cilantro and fluff with a fork.
Key Lime Pie
Recipe Courtesy of Allrecipes.com
- 5 egg yolks, beaten until yellow and smooth
- 1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 9-inch prepared graham cracker crust
- fresh whipped cream
- fresh fruit
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a mixing bowl, combine egg yolks, sweetened condensed milk and lime juice. Mix well. Pour into prepared crust. Bake for 15 minutes. Allow to cool. Refrigerate. Serve with fresh whipped cream and fruit.Tags: Chicken, Dessert, Mexican, Side Dish